Rabu, 21 September 2011

Holy Births and Howling Babies

In my backyard there are nuns who live in a shaded brick building
next to the st. Stanislaus church and elementary school
Together we rise before the sun is in the sky
Behind the kitchen curtain, in the damp haze of morning
I watch them walk in shades of blue robe
They glide in white sneakers across the parking lot
They are cool, calm, brisk

Some day, I’ll go see them
I’ll ask for some lesson on prayer
Because the thing is I pray now
Not Dear God Almighty !
Just slow, easy, quiet thoughts

I pray when my patience is worn
When my shoulders ache
When my own voice becomes tiring to my ears

I pray when my hearts sits heavy with stories and faces of women
A prayer for the 32 week babe
A prayer for the lady with the skinny, squawking twins
A prayer for the woman without a mother, or a lover, or a friend
I pray when my cool hands run across a pregnant belly
And I feel a kick from the inside

I pray for all my babies, Be good to your mama
I pray for all mothers,  Be strong, be good to this baby
I pray secretly and I pray slowly
I pray for the midwives and almost-midwives
I pray that we make the night decisions
And I pray for those of us who make bad decisions
Decisions we regret with outcomes we cant change

I pray that we learn from our mistakes
That with age comes wisdom
I pray deeply and I pray completely
For all of the hands and all of the bellies
I pray for holy births and howling babies1
 (Dana Quealy, CNM, MSN)

*Varney, Helen,. Jan M. Kriebs, Carolyn L. Gregor . 2007 . Buku-Ajar Asuhan Kebidanan Vol.1  Ed.4. Jakarta: Penerbit Buku Kedokteran EGC hlm. vi

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar